AIFD newsletter archive (since May 19th, 2012)
AIFD photo albums.
AIFD’s Youtube channel.
World’s words, an archive of song words that Misi Tsurikov has introduced newcomers’ classes – posted July 2nd, 2013.
Folk Dance Etiquette – some great advice from Dick Oakes.
Dance notes (compiled by Franklin Houston).
Are you on Facebook? Join the Austin International Folk Dancers group and stay on top of related news and events.
Dance Groups and instructors in Austin
- Austin Scandinavian Dancing Each Wednesday at HRC
- Csardas Hungarian Dancers (Austin)
- Contra Dancing in Texas, a complete list of contra dancing in Texas.
- English Country Dancing in Texas, a complete list of English dancing in Texas.
- Laman Hendricks – Azerbaijan.
- Four on the Floor, Lindy and Swing classes.
- Austin Swing Syndicate, Lindy, swing, Balboa, and several other dance events.
- Israeli Dancing at Body Business Fitness (New location), 2700 W Anderson Lane, Austin. Tuesdays, 7-9:45 pm (Beginners: 7-8pm All Levels.
For other folk dancing in Texas and the southwest, check out:
- Texas International Folk Dancers, a great resource for folk dancing in the southwest, including the annual Texas Camp.
- master index of Texas Camp syllabi
- AIO – playing engaging world music from a variety of countries
- La Strada
- Don Weeda
- Paul Morrissett
- FIDDLISA and Friends website facebook
- Mark Gilston – Scandinavian, Balkan and English country dance
- Shirley Johnson
- Austin Friends of Traditional Music
- VaNa MaZi.
Other great links
- Folk Dance Footnotes – Created by and dedicated to folk dancers.
- SFDH.us – Created and maintained by Dick Oakes.
- AIFD on youtube.
- Yves Moreau.
- Folk Dance Federation of California, South. – A list of folk dances with links to syllabi and videos.
- “I can’t dance” – some simple tips to to help you overcome this.
- Phantomranch.net – International Folk Dance resources page maintained by Dick Oakes.
- Dunav.org – a sharing place for Balkan music, dance notes, and instructions
- Folk Dance Musings Andrew Carnie’s Folk Dance Instructions.
- Recfd.com at one time this was a good resource for dance music. The domain expired on 4/21/11. We hope it comes back.
- A Dance Passion Essay Dancing All the Dances as Long as I Can by Robert Fulghum
- The Pheonix International Folk Dancers maintains great links to national folk dance groups and camps.
- Dancing makes you smarter!
- Sketchy guys – a really good guide on how men should conduct themselves at dance events. Prepared by Richard Powers, who teaches vintage dance at Stanford.
- Texas State Federation of
Square and Round Dancers®
- Collection of International Folk Dances hosted on Archive.org
- Folk Dancing as a Soul Celebration – a great commentary about folk dancing by Adam Blatner.
- Learn to waltz before the prom.
- Swing dance links.
- Square dance lessons are being offered in northwest Austin every other Friday from 7:00 – 8:30 staring January 8, 2015. The club, Levis and Lace, dance at the Live Oak Unitarian Universalist Church, 3315 El Salido Parkway in Cedar Park. For more information, contact Al Frazier, caller, email@example.com.
- Pioneer Farms – This past year Pioneer arms restored an old dance hall. It is a great venue for regular dances or special events.